Monday, January 29, 2007

From a Distance

Today i chose to look at a Bette Midler classic, "From a Distance," number 15 on the list.

Feeling as manly as ever as I played the song a few times I actually found some Fibonacci stuff. For instance the singing starts 13 seconds in, there is a dramatic pause 55 seconds in, and there is a sharp high note 89 seconds in. I dont know how many fibonacci numbers we need in order to call them Fibonacci songs, but I think this one fits the bill.

The song is 278 seconds long, and the climax comes in my opinion at 179 seconds in for a ratio of 1.55. Not exactly a golden section song, but considering the Fibonacci sequence that i found in it, the song overall is one that I would call interesting, if not a success.

PS Any comments on how many Fibonacci numbers we want to see before granting it "Fibonacci" status?

1 comment:

selaha said...

I think that if the length of a song is a fibonacci number and a dramatic element happens at another fibonacci number..it is a fibonacci song