Sunday, January 28, 2007

MARIAH CAREY BLOCK

I thought it might be interesting to see if there were any connections or correllations with a few different songs from one artist on the list. At first glance i noticed a few Mariah songs so i picked three of them.

The first one I picked was ''Someday" which was number 13 on the list. As it turns out this song was pretty bland in terms of fibonacci stuff. I didnt notice any pattern or any real dramatic points at any of the fibonacci numbers. The climax was 168 seconds in. Since the song is 248 seconds long, that ratio of 1.47 is off the mark from the golden section.

The second song was number 22 on the list, "Emotions." This song made me think for a while. I found no Fibonacci numbers in it, but the interesting part has to do with the climax. The first time i ran through the song i noted that I thought the climax was at 170 seconds in. At this point Mariah hits what is certainly the highest note in the song. However once I went back and checked the point where the Golden section climax would be, I had to take a second look. Since the song is 249 second slong, the climax should be right at 153 seconds in. At that point in the song there is a dramatic pause. So I listened to the song again straight through and while the highest note is at 170 seconds, what i really considered the climax was indeed at this 153 second mark, for a ratio for 1.62, right on the golden section. This served as a warning to make sure you take note that the climax not nessecarily be the highest note in a song.

The last song i looked at in this block was "I dont wanna cry," number 25 on the list. I marked the climax at 166 seconds in, at a point where Mariah's singing is backed up by drums that are not as prominant throughout the rest of the song. The track I had was 270 seconds long which would make the ratio a little far off the mark, however, i noticed the end of the track gets cut off, so the version I had was not the entire lenght of the song. Depending on how many seconds are left, perhaps this could be a golden section song also.

No comments: